1974 T150v

Home Forums Which Triple do you ride? 1974 T150v

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Dave Dearing
      Participant

Hello all,new member here.

This is my new toy, a 74 T150v . Got 27000 on the clock and has had some money spent on her back in 2016, looks like a top end rebuild.

I have fitted new Avon RR2 tyres tubes and rim tapes as the old RRs had cracked sidewalls. Podtronics regulator with filter, New Tri-Spark, ignition leads and resistor caps, due to Rita giving up the ghost, probably an own goal whilst tidying up wiring and crimping new connectors on. LED lamps all round and new Rayguns as the cigar silencers were looking a bit sad and personally think the Rayguns suit the bread bin tank better.

Frame has been powder coated, new swinging arm bushes and shaft fitted and all new rubber bushings and headlamp mounts, to replace the cracked and crusty originals.  New front brake hoses, disc and pads and wheel bearings front and rear. Carbs have had new jets needles and floats along with new clutch, speedo, tacho cables. I took the chokes out of the carbs and she starts well enough without them, especially being a fair weather rider!
        love the sound and the way she pucks up and goes, I would like to try and lighten the clutch but will enjoy riding unless it gets heavier. And better not upset she who must be obeyed by spending more on the bike, for now anyway.

Safe riding all.

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Peter Curzons
        Participant

Hi Dave.

Re the tyres you fitted, are they on standard rims and what size are they.  How do you rate them?

Cheers

Pete

Dave Dearing
            Participant

Hello Pete,

Yes they are on standard chromed rims, I bought 100-90-19 s as Avon appear to have reduced the sizes available. The old RRs I took off had different tread patterns too think thee date code indicated 2009, but not sure about that.
              I do know they needed some welly to break the beads off the rims😳.Personally think they are a good tyre at not a daft price. I also have a pair on my Triton.
              ATB

Dave

Peter Curzons
            Participant

Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply.  I’ve ordered the Avon rr2’s 90/90 & 100/90.

I just bought a T160 with barely used tt100’s but they’re from 2014 and starting to harden up. I guess I’ll have trouble getting them off, it strengthens the character though.

Pete

Dave Dearing
              Participant

Hi Pete,

HaHa, reckon your character will be well strengthened getting the old beads free and over the rim edge. I would suggest getting a big pot of tyre soap to help the struggle. The new yins were not too bad to get on, definitely need at least 2 tyre levers to chase the bead.
                Good luck! Let me know how you get on and watch the tubes getting damaged.
                Don’t ask me why I said that 😉

ATB

Dave

Dave Dearing
                Participant

Hi Pete,

HaHa, reckon your character will be well strengthened getting the old beads free and over the rim edge. I would suggest getting a big pot of tyre soap to help the struggle. The new yins were not too bad to get on, definitely need at least 2 tyre levers to chase the bead.
                  Good luck! Let me know how you get on and watch the tubes getting damaged.
                  Don’t ask me why I said that 😉

ATB

Dave

Dave Dearing
                  Participant

Hi again Pete,

Don’t know if you have got any tyre pressure ideas for the RR2 for your T160 as the “old” tyre pressures in the manuals are a bit low, but Avon tech department are very good if you give them a call  they will suggest pressures to suit modern tyres v the weight of the bike. They gave me some advice for the tyres on my Triton.
                    ATB  Dave

Peter Curzons
                    Participant

I haven’t called them but I found this on their website:

“What pressures should I use on my classic bike?

Due to the modern materials used in the construction of these tyres, we normally recommend 25-28 psi front and 28-34 psi rear.”
                      The low figures (25 Front 28 Rear) equate to the old pressures in the manual so they seem to be sticking by those, in writing at least.  I guess the high figure they’re quoting is for 2 up/luggage.

</div>

william finnigan
                      Participant

Seems to me that rider weight must be considered as well. I still use the old inflation figures as I, full kit, am 9 stone.

mark smith
                        Participant

Morning all, whilst reading this, my new “hobby” needs some new rubber. being an import, for some strange reason, has a 16″ rear (probably for the cruiser style).

Happy to keep this but it is a scooter size, not sure anyone will laugh when I attend a meet up or should I go back to the 19″ as standard?

Different strokes and all that

Confused in Charlwood

Attachments:
                          You must be logged in to view attached files.
                          Mike Klose
                          Participant

Just to add further options.. an 18″ rim can give a greater choice of rubber than the 19″

(Or did.. things change.. I’m still contemplating that for when the current tyre wears out..)

M8-)ke

Viewing 9 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.