Upcoming Events
Jul
Thu
all-day Beezumph 28 2019 @ Cadwell Park Race Circuit
Beezumph 28 2019 @ Cadwell Park Race Circuit
Jul 25 – Jul 26 all-day
Beezumph 28 2019 @ Cadwell Park Race Circuit | Wales | United Kingdom
The TR3OC Committee would like to announce that this years BEEZUMPH RALLY will take place at Cadwell Park on the 25th and 26th of July. Hope to see you there.
Aug
Sat
all-day Llangollen International Motorcy... @ Royal International Pavilion
Llangollen International Motorcy... @ Royal International Pavilion
Aug 3 – Aug 4 all-day
Llangollen International Motorcycle Festival @ Royal International Pavilion | Llangollen | United Kingdom
LLANBIKEFEST 2019 – AUGUST 3 & 4 Royal International Pavilion, Abbey Road, Llangollen LL20 8SW   LlanBikeFest is run by a group of North Wales enthusiasts who are mad about bikes of all kinds – on road,[...]
Aug
Fri
all-day 10th Aussie Triples Rally
10th Aussie Triples Rally
Aug 16 – Aug 18 all-day
The 10th Aussie Triples Rally will be held at Evans Head, Northern NSW for three days from Friday 16th August 2018 to Sunday 18th August 2019.   
Facebook
"

520 “O” Ring Chain Conversion

Home Forums TR3OC Members Forum 520 “O” Ring Chain Conversion

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Angus McLeod 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

Rowan Geard
    Participant

Probably been done to death but I can’t find any posts that lead me in the right direction. Does some one manufacture front and rear 520 sprockets for the triples. I have considered machining the stock units but thought someone out there must be making quality units for our bikes. Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Angus McLeod

Rear sprockets off the 250 single BSAs are 520 and will fit assuming it is a conical hub. I don’t know about other hubs.

Why do you want to do it? If it is just to fit an o ring chain a DID 530vx will fit.

Kerrin Gautrey
    Kerrin Gautrey
    Participant

Try Les Whiston at Rob North Triples. I think they supply both sprockets to suit a 520 chain but only for a disc rear wheel.

Martin Rawson
    Participant

Angus, doesn’t the wider 520 ‘o’ring chain foul the gearbox sprocket seal holder. As I understand it, this is not a problem if you are running a 20 t sprocket?

j phillips
    Participant

I have a 520 o ring chain on my T150 and ended up machining the front sprocket – the rear is a non standard wheel and a ready made sprocket was easily available.

I’m putting a five speed box in when I get round to it, so will do the same thing to the 5 sp front sprocket unless I can get one already done that is, as I am going to have to buy a new sprocket and attack it anyway.

Angus McLeod

Martin

Some o ring chains will foul but the DID one is considerably narrower than any others I’ve seen.  I am running a 20T sprocket but I know someone who fitted one to a standard bike with no problems. Not much clearance though.

Angus

Rowan Geard
    Participant

Thanks everyone, Angus, from what I have read I was of the understanding that 530 O ring chains fouled the casing around the drive sprocket.  I figured a 520 O ring would clear as it is not as wide as stock 530 chain.  I am definitely going to fit an O ring chain when I get the bike running – much less maintenance and far cleaner.  So a DID 530VX on a 20T works?

Angus McLeod

Yes it does work. If you are going to change the sprocket you might as well machine the oil seal housing just to be sure and at least if you stick with a 530 chain you are not struggling to get 520 sprockets every time you need to replace a sprocket.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.