Upcoming Events
Aug
Fri
all-day Classic TT Week I.O.M. @ Isle of Man
Classic TT Week I.O.M. @ Isle of Man
Aug 24 – Aug 27 all-day
The TR3OC will be celebrating the 50th Anniversary of our iconic British triples at the 2018 Classic TT Races presented by Bennetts. TR3OC is organising a spectacular display of both road and racing triples together with[...]
Sep
Fri
all-day 15th French Trident & Rocket 3 I...
15th French Trident & Rocket 3 I...
Sep 7 – Sep 9 all-day
  CLUB TRIDENT ROCKET 3 FRANCE   15th French International Trident & Rocket 3 Club Rally 7th, 8th & 9th  September 2018 From Friday afternoon to Sunday noon 1968 – 2018 You are welcome to[...]
Facebook
"

Viton rings for Head to barrel dowels

Home Forums TR3OC Members Forum Viton rings for Head to barrel dowels

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  J Phillips 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Duncan Billingham1
    Participant

Has anyone used viton rings to seal around the dowels for the head to barrels mating?  If so, what inside/outside diameters and ring thickness were used please?   Would 6.35mm ID  / 9.91mm  OD / 1.78mm thickness be suitable?  Can anyone suggest a source of this?  Thank you.

David Lord
    David Lord
    Keymaster

Whilst I’m sure this is a good way to prevent leaks in this area, I think it is over elaborate. Simply using a light counterbore and a smear of high temp silicone sealer creates a very good seal.

Andrew Stroud
    Participant

for a source of O rings including in viton try simplybearings.co.uk

Great web site to find and order many sealing and bearing products, I have always had excellent service from them.

Regarding the size of O ring to use I would check a supplier’s web site for a down load of their design notes, I have one from James Walker which is very helpful to find the correct dimensions for an O ring installation. Contrary to popular belief rubber hardly compresses but deforms so it is important to get the correct clearances in any groove or housing to allow the O ring to move.

J Phillips
    Participant

Hi,

I did this mod on a t150 that just would not stop bloody leaking around this area – I used a std copper gasket bored the appropriate holes out and fitted viton o rings – worked a treat. Sorry, can’t remember the size, but I wasn’t overly technical about it – snug over the dowel, and allowed the same expansion space horizontally as the oring was thicker than the gasket – again, not much 0.5,mm or so. Plenty of online suppliers that allow you to browse their site and pick what you need.

J

J Phillips
      Participant

Just found them ! 9.37 x 6.1 x 1.56 or thereabouts.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.