Upcoming Events
Feb
Sat
10:00 am 38th Carole Nash Bristol Classic... @ Bath &West Showground
38th Carole Nash Bristol Classic... @ Bath &West Showground
Feb 3 @ 10:00 am – Feb 4 @ 5:00 pm
The Royal Bath & West in Shepton Mallet, Somerset, is the venue for the traditional Carole Nash Bristol Classic MotorCycle Show – an event that many deem as their favourite of the year. With a friendly atmosphere,[...]
Feb
Sun
9:00 am Cogenhoe Swap Meet @ Cogenhoe Village Hall
Cogenhoe Swap Meet @ Cogenhoe Village Hall
Feb 25 @ 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
The annual TR3OC swap meet where you can buy and sell triple parts.
Apr
Sat
9:00 am The 38th Carole Nash Internation... @ Staffordshire County Showground
The 38th Carole Nash Internation... @ Staffordshire County Showground
Apr 21 @ 9:00 am – Apr 22 @ 5:00 pm
A flagship event of the classic motorcycling calendar, the Carole Nash International Classic MotorCycle Show is well into its fourth decade and is still going strong. Welcoming the very best that classic British motorcycling has[...]
Facebook
"

T160 Tank Size, MPG & Paint Questions

Home Forums Main Forum T160 Tank Size, MPG & Paint Questions

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Alan Mould 5 days, 18 hours ago.

• Author
    Al Walker
    Al Walker
    Participant

Hello,
    I’ve recently joined the club and looking forward to catching up with members and learning more about triples.

I’ve two tanks here, and deciding which one to fit to my T160. The larger one measuring 8.5inches at the seat and the finer 6.5inches at seat version. Personally I think the lines of the bike look better with the finer tank shaped tank, but understand the larger tank is more practical. Am I right in thinking the larger tank is more difficult to come by?

A few questions if anyone can help:

• What sort of distance are T160’s getting on the smaller tank?
    • Are tank lining products typically used if the tank is deteriorating inside, or is it classed as preventative measures for the future (just wondering if painting the outside then would it be worth lining the inside beforehand).
    • Have members used RS Paint to pickup the correct paint colours (Red/White)?
    • Is it just a case of looking at photos and “winging it” with the flashes design or are there measurements around?

Thanks for any info.

Al

David Lord
    David Lord
    Keymaster

I had a T160 with the small tank and was sometimes frustrated with the limited range.  From memory it was 150 miles max.  I was lucky enough to source a UK tank at a reasonable price but that was a long time ago and they are very much sought after and expensive now.

I took the precaution of lining the inside with POR15 before having it painted.  You definitely don’t want to do it afterwards as it sticks to anything like sh*t to a blanket!

I have used RS paints but its quite expensive.  Others may be able to suggest alternatives or a good sprayer local to you if you let us know where you are?

Al Walker
    Al Walker
    Participant

Hi David, thanks for the reply, helpful info.

https://www.tomcc.org/Triumph/Model/32 quotes the US tanks size as being 9.5l, just over 2imp gal.

The distance you mention is higher than I was expecting to hear, in fact most bikes Ive owned would only provide me 100-130miles before needing juice… so in that company the US tank doesn’t seem to bad. Ill look into POR15 then.

If the UK tank is sought after it shall stay on the bike. I’m near Manchester in the North West.. so yes looking for a painter if anyone can recommend.

David Lord
    David Lord
    Keymaster

I’ve just checked the workshop manual:  US tank is 2.5 gals/11 litres, UK tank 4.5 gals/20 litres.  My memory was clearly wrong!  I’d have been nervous after 100 miles on the US tank!

Al Walker
    Al Walker
    Participant

2.5 x what.. 35?

A US tank might just make it 3 loops of the IOM course then.

I can see why the UK tank is popular.

A painter recommendation would be welcomed thanks… guess I can courier if needs be.

dave bloor
      dave bloor
      Participant

Myself and other members in the Cheshire area use a guy near Sandbach  M 6 junc. 17

Al Walker
        Al Walker
        Participant

Thanks Dave. Please send me the painters details if you can as its just a couple of stops down the M6 from me.
        Cheers, Al

Barry Davie
    Barry Davie
    Participant

I have just had a t150 export tank refurbished by an excellent painter in somerset, he had it chemically cleaned (removal of old tank sealer) and shot blasted back to metal, it was then re-sealed twice, he’s thorough, and repairs made then sprayed in correct colours for the year. It now looks astounding and is just waiting for some decent weather to go back on the road. Anyway the painter is called ‘ Joeby’s art work and is based in Wells Somerset there is a web site with pics of his work and is best contacted by phone, 01749 6677498 or 07974 840106.

Alan Mould
    Participant

Hi Al, like yourself, I’m a recent new member, bought my T160 last year. Had my tank painted at a local spray shop, they do a lot of classic cars and bikes. Mine is the yellow/white US tank and now looks superb, done a brilliant job, charged me £240. They’re near me, Stockport area, happy to pass details on if you’re still looking?

Cheers, Alan

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.