Upcoming Events
Jan
Sat
9:00 am Newark – CAROLE NASH CLASSIC BIK... @ Newark Showground
Newark – CAROLE NASH CLASSIC BIK... @ Newark Showground
Jan 6 @ 9:00 am – Jan 7 @ 5:00 pm
A kick-start to the new classic motorcycling year, the Carole Nash Classic Bike Guide Winter Classic returns to offer enthusiasts a chance to stock up ahead of a new riding season. Hundreds of trade stands[...]
Feb
Sat
10:00 am 38th Carole Nash Bristol Classic... @ Bath &West Showground
38th Carole Nash Bristol Classic... @ Bath &West Showground
Feb 3 @ 10:00 am – Feb 4 @ 5:00 pm
The Royal Bath & West in Shepton Mallet, Somerset, is the venue for the traditional Carole Nash Bristol Classic MotorCycle Show – an event that many deem as their favourite of the year. With a friendly atmosphere,[...]
Feb
Sun
9:00 am Cogenhoe Swap Meet @ Cogenhoe Village Hall
Cogenhoe Swap Meet @ Cogenhoe Village Hall
Feb 25 @ 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
The annual TR3OC swap meet where you can buy and sell triple parts.
Facebook
"

T160 Starting, or lack of

Home Forums Main Forum T160 Starting, or lack of

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mike steer 7 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Mike steer
    Participant

Haven’t run the bike for two years.  After several attempts on the button I get a loud bang and smoke from the near side silencer.  Could anyone say ‘Ok the most likely cause of that is ……’  I thought perhaps stale fuel (been in the tank for a month at least).  Stripped carbs, re set float heights, pilots flushed out and all cleaned.  Fresh fuel, new battery still the same.  Have checked kill switch, looks fine, nothing obvious.  Good sparks on the plug’s with them out of the head so assuming coils are all working fine, along with the the Boyer ignition? Please advise if my assumptions are not the case.  Have visually checked the stator plate but can’t see any signs of it having moved. Is there anything obvious I might have missed?

David Lord
    David Lord
    Keymaster

Mike

Have you checked battery voltage, at the battery and also at the Boyer when it is all turned on?  Have you checked the battery voltage when you are turning over the engine?

Mike steer
    Participant

Dave thanks. Haven’t tried that as yet.  However it did start first push of the button yesterday morning (Sunday) without me doing anything else to it. As if mysterious things happened overnight.  Two things I can think of.  I did put the battery on a charge after I wrote the initial mail.  I also put some fuel additive formulated for Ethanol fuels into the tank (Ethomix).  I strayed away from the battery being the problem as it is brand new.  I had good sparks when needed with plugs in and out of the head which basically excused the coils and the Boyer. Anyway, bike is running so I’d like to think that a combination of the additive which overnight cleaned the areas of the carb’s I couldn’t get too, and the charging of the battery.  From previous experience it probably was the battery not having enough ooomph to fire it up.  Lets see

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.