Upcoming Events
Jan
Sat
9:00 am Newark – CAROLE NASH CLASSIC BIK... @ Newark Showground
Newark – CAROLE NASH CLASSIC BIK... @ Newark Showground
Jan 6 @ 9:00 am – Jan 7 @ 5:00 pm
A kick-start to the new classic motorcycling year, the Carole Nash Classic Bike Guide Winter Classic returns to offer enthusiasts a chance to stock up ahead of a new riding season. Hundreds of trade stands[...]
Feb
Sat
10:00 am 38th Carole Nash Bristol Classic... @ Bath &West Showground
38th Carole Nash Bristol Classic... @ Bath &West Showground
Feb 3 @ 10:00 am – Feb 4 @ 5:00 pm
The Royal Bath & West in Shepton Mallet, Somerset, is the venue for the traditional Carole Nash Bristol Classic MotorCycle Show – an event that many deem as their favourite of the year. With a friendly atmosphere,[...]
Feb
Sun
9:00 am Cogenhoe Swap Meet @ Cogenhoe Village Hall
Cogenhoe Swap Meet @ Cogenhoe Village Hall
Feb 25 @ 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
The annual TR3OC swap meet where you can buy and sell triple parts.
Latest Ads
Facebook
"

T160 oil leak through tach drive/cable

Home Forums Main Forum T160 oil leak through tach drive/cable

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Martin Rawson 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Jerry Bland
    Participant

I have a T160 that is pushing oil up through the tachometer cable at the junction of the tachometer drive and cable. I have removed and disassembled the drive for inspection but can not find any issues with it. I currently have zip tied a diaper to the cable to keep oil from blowing all over my engine and leg while riding. I assume the engine is pushing oil out through the end of the cam and up into the tachometer drive but am not really sure what would cause this. Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this issue? JB

keith berry
    Participant

I have the same issue the early T160 have not got a hole in the cam housing to relive the pressure on the oil I had an aftermarket tacho drive which was not that well made compared to the oem, and I had to repack with grease every 200 miles, I have just got a oem unit and packed it with a heavy high melting grease loctite8104 so I hope that will work also is the o ring in place on the cable converter

Huu-Chi Tran
    Participant

Oil pressure builds up in cam housing and i have heard in extreme cases of oil leaking from the headlight.
    I bought a brand new drive to stop the leak but to no avail.
    A small hole is drilled to drain oil back into the case,rather than it being forced out of the cable.
    When my enginevis rebuilt I intend to have this inexpensive modification made.
    Hope this helps
    Hooch

Mike Klose
    Mike Klose
    Participant

It’s true.. Drill a hole.
    I vaguely remember someone posting on TOL about drilling the oilway “in situ”, but I was way too chicken for that.
    I, too, have experienced this oily problem and rebuilt the tacho drive last winter with the intention of slathering in the heavy grease workaround.

I had a bit of a funny turn, however, and instead put a very small “O” ring on the input shaft running on the plain bush. This seems to have stemmed the flow completely since then.

How long that will remain effective is anybody’s guess, but it’s lasted for several hundred miles, which is more than the grease used to.

I wish I’d taken a photo at the time….

M8-)ke

Jerry Bland
    Participant

Thank all of you for your response. While this engine runs very well currently I am planning on doing a rebuild on this engine in the near future. It needs to be freshened up on the top end and some resealing on the lower end. I will most definitely be looking into this issue. Was the drain hole something the factory was supposed to do and it got missed on some of these models?

keith berry
    Participant

just an update mine lasted 700 miles with the new grease pretty good i would say

Martin Rawson
    Participant

Jerry the drain hole was  a later engine mod along with other things like enlarged oil inlet pipe diameter and galleries. To name a few.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.