Upcoming Events
Jan
Sat
9:00 am Newark – CAROLE NASH CLASSIC BIK... @ Newark Showground
Newark – CAROLE NASH CLASSIC BIK... @ Newark Showground
Jan 6 @ 9:00 am – Jan 7 @ 5:00 pm
A kick-start to the new classic motorcycling year, the Carole Nash Classic Bike Guide Winter Classic returns to offer enthusiasts a chance to stock up ahead of a new riding season. Hundreds of trade stands[...]
Feb
Sat
10:00 am 38th Carole Nash Bristol Classic... @ Bath &West Showground
38th Carole Nash Bristol Classic... @ Bath &West Showground
Feb 3 @ 10:00 am – Feb 4 @ 5:00 pm
The Royal Bath & West in Shepton Mallet, Somerset, is the venue for the traditional Carole Nash Bristol Classic MotorCycle Show – an event that many deem as their favourite of the year. With a friendly atmosphere,[...]
Feb
Sun
9:00 am Cogenhoe Swap Meet @ Cogenhoe Village Hall
Cogenhoe Swap Meet @ Cogenhoe Village Hall
Feb 25 @ 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
The annual TR3OC swap meet where you can buy and sell triple parts.
Facebook
"

Swinging arm removal

Home Forums Main Forum Swinging arm removal

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Gerard Gallwey 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

Pete Esser
    Participant

I’m having some trouble removing the swinging arm pivot bolt on my T160 as the nut is seized. If I use a blow torch, will I need to replace the pivot nut and bolt with new ones? There is a bit of side play; do I need to achieve zero side play with shims or is a bit of play normal? Lastly, is a special drift required for removal and fitting of the bushes or can I improvise with something else? Any advice appreciated. Pete

Pete Esser
    Participant

I got it off on the end; after trying heat, shock force and WD40 the nut would not budge, so I had to split it off with a small cold chisel. The bobbins were badly corroded and bearing collars worn, so everything should feel tighter when rebuilt. Now having a similar problem with headstock bearing removal, can’t get the inner collars out, which are badly scored (the bottom race was rusty, devoid of grease and seized onto the stem, but I managed to get it off eventually. Any suggestions for inner collar removal?

Gerard Gallwey
    Participant

A method I once used on a Suzuki of removing a bearing inner collar at the headstock, is to weld piece of metal on to the collar so that there is a larger area to enable a drift to make contact with the collar. The drift which has to be longer than the headstock tube is put in from the other end of the headstock. The collar is evenly driven out by moving the end of drift between hammer hits, to different places on the welded in piece of metal.
    On a Yamaha with the same problem, I drilled three or four evenly positioned holes through the frame so that a 1/8″ parallel pin punch could be used to drive out the collar. The holes were drilled from the outside of the headstock in the direction of the bearing collar at an acute angle to the headstock. Looking at a the fairing mounting lugs on a T160 headstock, there appears to be just enough room for two holes on both sides of the headstock. On the Yamaha I just filled the drillings with instant gasket paste so that they could be used the next time.
    for

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.