Upcoming Events
Aug
Sat
all-day 11th World’s Smallest Triple Meet
11th World’s Smallest Triple Meet
Aug 5 all-day
The 11th WSTM is starting from the meeting point coffee/restaurant Rantakelo about 2miles before Palkane on the side of road no. 11 at 12.06 o’ clock. About 150 miles ride on interesting small roads and interesting[...]
Aug
Fri
all-day GTR 11 – German Triple Run
GTR 11 – German Triple Run
Aug 18 – Aug 20 all-day
The 11th German Triple Run will take place in Weichselbaum by Weßling from 18th to 20th August. This is close to the exit Oberpfaffenhofen on the München to Lindau autobahn A96. As usual there will[...]
Latest Ads
  • There are currently no Ads to show.
Facebook
"

Slow running

Home Forums Main Forum Slow running

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Ian Bradshaw Ian Bradshaw 1 week ago.

• Author
    Ian Bradshaw
    Ian Bradshaw
    Participant

When I try to get a good tickover by adjusting the pilot air screw I find that the more I screw them in the faster the engine runs, basically enriching the mixture. However when I shut the throttle it takes a long time to return to a lumpy tickover but the pickup at low speed is good. However if I set the carbs to a smooth tickover it tends to give a lumpy ride at low speeds, up to 30mph. I have read on one of the forums on facebook, either TR3OC or Chris Rooke’s that someone else who had this problem changed their spark plugs to B7ES rather than B8ES which I am running. Has anyone had experience of this as I am concerned that running the hotter plug may give more problems. I am running a set of new Amal Premier carbs.

michael chappell
    Participant

I’m having problems with my Rocket 3 mk1

I can not get it to tick over seems to be nothing below 3000 races and the motor is running so hot

It’s discolouring the exhaust pipes, has electronic ignition set at 5000 revs can anyone give me any advice with this.

David Lord
      David Lord
      Keymaster

Michael what is the history of the bike/carbs? It sounds like you have blocked pilot jets

michael chappell
        Participant

David rocket has had new rings valves ground in

Carbs are standard with all standard size jets.

Bike came in from USA been stood a while.

I’ve blown carbs out with air line.

Bike starts second or third kick but needs a lot of throtle. But no tick over just dyes.

David Lord
        David Lord
        Keymaster

OK but just to be sure, have you followed the info shown here? http://www.jba.bc.ca/Bushmans%20Carb%20Tuning.html

Dick Herzberg
      Participant

Hi Michael, there can be a few reasons for discoloured pipes, on the Triples it is quite normal for them to discolour when using the maximum revs, one is retarded ignition, you say it is set at 5,000 rpm, set what is it set at 38 btdc? With you saying 5,000 rpm you have an electronic ignition fitted as points are set static with the ARU fixed in full advance and checked with a strobe. Cheers,

michael chappell
        Participant

Hi Dick

Fitted Boyer Bransdon electronic ignition set as spec sheet. Then set using strobe at 5000 rpm.

David Lord
    David Lord
    Keymaster

Ian, I doubt it is a spark plug issue. I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that the pilot jet fitted in the premier carb needs to be changed to a different size. It sounds to me like yours may be too rich.

Ian Bradshaw
      Ian Bradshaw
      Participant

Hi David, My thoughts precisely, that’s why I queried the spark plug route. Nice to have confirmation of my thoughts. Thanks, ian

Gary Westwater
    Participant

Hi Ian,

I agree with david about the pilot jets. My bike has new alloy Premiers fitted. It ticks over ok but is a bit hesitant picking up from low revs. Air screw is about 1 turn out. I’ve bought #19 pilot jets to try, on the recommendation of others who know a lot more than I do, though I have still to fit them. They were cheaper from RGM. If you have the kit, then you can drill them out yourself.

Gary

Ian Bradshaw
    Ian Bradshaw
    Participant

HI Gary, Thanks for your reply. I have been having a play and have improved both tick over and pick up. I have the two outer carbs with the air screw out about 1 3/8 and the Centre Carb 1 1/8. Unfortunately I found a slight weep of oil from the rear rocker box so going to see how the bike runs from cold after I have fixed the leak. Please let me know how your bike runs after you have changed the jets. Cheers, Ian

David Lord
    David Lord
    Keymaster

Ian, if it helps, my experience of setting the air screws is to start at 1 1/2 turns out, adjust them for highest speed tickover and then turn them weaker (by usually about 1/4 turn), testing for responsive when blipping the throttle as you make small 1/8 turn adjustments. Finally of course adjusting the throttle stop to give about 1,000 rpm tickover.  It takes quite a bit of trial and error but once you get into the right area with the air screws you can really fell the difference and I usually make final small adjustments when riding it rather than in the garage where the engine tends to overheat.

Ian Bradshaw
      Ian Bradshaw
      Participant

Hi David an Gary,
      I have not had chance to give the bike a run from cold yet but from my hot run the bike felt considersbly better. Gary, I have Premiers and the Pilot Jets are screwed in and are interchangeable so you may not have to drill them out. Thanks to you both I will let you know how I get on. Sunday seems to be the first chance of a ride. Ian

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.