Upcoming Events
Nov
Sat
12:00 pm 2018 AGM @ Best Western Hotel
2018 AGM @ Best Western Hotel
Nov 24 @ 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm
This year’s AGM event will be held on Saturday 24th November 2018 at the Best Western Hotel, Meriden starting at 12.00 prompt with a break in the middle for refreshments.   The TR3OC AGM will be held[...]
Facebook
"

rear number plate shape

Home Forums TR3OC Members Forum rear number plate shape

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Graham Redrup 6 months ago.

• Author

Jamie Colville
    Participant

Hi Guys

I have just finished my ’69 T150 beauty kit Trident and need to fit the correct period number plate (black plate with polished alloy numbers). I have been allocated an age related number (3 letters, 3 numbers and a G suffix). Question is what shape is correct? Is it a simple rectangle of two rows of digits or the more stylised ‘shield’ pattern with the suffix below the rest of the digits?
    Any ideas please.

Cheers

Jamie

Ian Cook
    Participant

Hello Jamie, you have got further than I have, I sent a letter to the DVLA asking for an age appropriate number plate, I sent a letter as requested also pictures and the cert. all certified by the TR3OC, I asked for a couple of minor changes as well. This they did, and ignored the rest, when I spoke to them for the third  time, they said they would pass it on to the correct dept. and to wait eight days, the fourth time I spoke to them they registered a complaint on my behalf and to wait 8 days, that was 3 weeks ago !!! Gods teeth ! what the hell do I have to do to get one of the number plates. then I will have the same question as you above.

John Smith2
    Participant

Well I presume that the plain rectangle is the accepted normal shape but the shield does look very smart, this is what I have fitted to mine though mine is not a standard machine I would fit the plate you want as the rivet counters will always differ on which is correct but to the bets of my knowledge both were used in the day.

David Lord
    David Lord
    Keymaster

I doubt there is a “correct” shape. Weren’t the bikes delivered to dealers with brackets only and then it was up to each dealer what they fitted for the customer?

Graham Redrup
    Keymaster

DVLA leaflet INF 104 states,
    Motorcycles and tricycles. There are separate rules for motorcycles and tricycles. Motorcycles registered from 1 September 2001 must only display a number plate at the back of the vehicle. Motorcycles registered before 1 September 2001 can display a number plate at the front, but do not have to. The characters on the number plate must be set out over two lines and must be displayed on all motorcycles registered on or after 1 January 1973.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.