Upcoming Events
Aug
Sat
all-day Llangollen International Motorcy... @ Royal International Pavilion
Llangollen International Motorcy... @ Royal International Pavilion
Aug 4 – Aug 5 all-day
LLANBIKEFEST 2018 – AUGUST 4 & 5 Royal International Pavilion, Abbey Road, Llangollen LL20 8SW Back by popular demand – John McGuinness WILL be at LlanBikeFest 2018! John McGuinness said: “I had such a good[...]
Aug
Sat
all-day NMM Ride In @ National Motorcycle Museum
NMM Ride In @ National Motorcycle Museum
Aug 11 all-day
Further Details to be announced
Aug
Fri
all-day 9th Aussie Triples Rally
9th Aussie Triples Rally
Aug 17 – Aug 19 all-day
The 9th Aussie Triples Rally will be held at Evans Head, Northern NSW for three days from Friday 17th August 2018.  This year on the Monday 20th after our rally we are organising a 320km[...]
Facebook
"

Rattle When releasing clutch from standstill

Home Forums TR3OC Members Forum Rattle When releasing clutch from standstill

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  john neokosmidis 8 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

bob moore
    Participant

Just went on first run on MK1 r3 after full redo,  all went well,  did 250 miles and got 52mpg runs great , noted a bit of a rattling noise when releasing clutch when taking of in first , clutch works well easy to find neutral , everthing in the primary side is new , no noise when clutch is engaged or released , just a rattle buzz noise when taking off as the clutch is being released , any ideas

Martin Rawson
    Participant

I would look carefully at either the chainwheel rivets or the clutch end cover rivets.

john neokosmidis
    Participant

Also check if the crankshaft sprocket is a tight fit.
    My triple was doing exactly that and i found out that the rattling was from there.
    The sprocket was a loose fit on the crankshaft.

bob moore
    Participant

I remember the sprocket wasn’t  exactly a tight fit on the crank , although I torqued it up tight , the noise started after about an hours riding when it got really warmed up , so i will take of the cover and see if it is still tight , did you replace the sprocket ?

john neokosmidis
    Participant

No i didn’t. I used loctite 660 to secure the sprocket on splines.
    I also discarded the sprocket nut washer (70-8785) and make a new washer on the lathe
    with a thickness of about 5mm. I secured the nut with loctite high strength thread locker. Obviously if i need to remove those items i have to warm them first.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.