Upcoming Events
Feb
Sun
9:00 am Cogenhoe Swap Meet @ Cogenhoe Village Hall
Cogenhoe Swap Meet @ Cogenhoe Village Hall
Feb 25 @ 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
The annual TR3OC swap meet where you can buy and sell triple parts.
Apr
Sat
9:00 am The 38th Carole Nash Internation... @ Staffordshire County Showground
The 38th Carole Nash Internation... @ Staffordshire County Showground
Apr 21 @ 9:00 am – Apr 22 @ 5:00 pm
A flagship event of the classic motorcycling calendar, the Carole Nash International Classic MotorCycle Show is well into its fourth decade and is still going strong. Welcoming the very best that classic British motorcycling has[...]
Facebook
"

Oil leak at clutch actuation mechanism

Home Forums Main Forum Oil leak at clutch actuation mechanism

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by David Lord David Lord 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

Jamie Colville
    Participant

Hi Guys

I’ve almost finished a complete restoration of my T150T. Started it up for the first time and a quick ride up the lane showed a slight drag to the clutch. So I took the inspection cover off to make a fine adjustment and was surprised to find a quantity of oil behind the cover. On starting the bike discovered the leak (a steady flow!) wasn’t coming from behind the bearing as I assumed but flowing down from the vertical shaft housing the clutch cable! A quick look in the primary case doesn’t show an excess of oil. The oil flowing down this shaft into the release mechanism looks well ‘aerated’.
    Can anyone tell me what’s going on and what I need to do?

Jamie

David Lord
    David Lord
    Keymaster

Jamie

It is normal to find oil behind the inspection cover.  Later bikes have a drain hole at the bottom of the housing in order to minimise the amount of oil that flows out when the cover is removed.  If yours is an early machine then it is quite OK to drill a small hole at the bottom of the clutch adjustment area so that oil drains into the chaincase.

The other thing that happens with some bikes is they leak oil out of the clutch cable abutment. A simple  fix is to push a length of thin wall tube into the abutment from underneath. When re-fitted, this tube will enter the clutch adjustment mechanism area through the cable hole, and very effectively seal the cable from the oil of the chaincase.

Here’s how mine looks…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.