Upcoming Events
Nov
Sat
1:00 pm 2017 AGM @ Marston Farm Hotel
2017 AGM @ Marston Farm Hotel
Nov 11 @ 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
This year’s AGM event will be held on Saturday 11th November 2017 at the Marston Farm Hotel, starting at 1pm prompt with a break in the middle for refreshments. For those that want to stay[...]
Jan
Sat
9:00 am Newark – CAROLE NASH CLASSIC BIK... @ Newark Showground
Newark – CAROLE NASH CLASSIC BIK... @ Newark Showground
Jan 6 @ 9:00 am – Jan 7 @ 5:00 pm
A kick-start to the new classic motorcycling year, the Carole Nash Classic Bike Guide Winter Classic returns to offer enthusiasts a chance to stock up ahead of a new riding season. Hundreds of trade stands[...]
Latest Ads
Facebook
"

Early 69 MK1 Rocket 3 rebuild

Home Forums Main Forum Early 69 MK1 Rocket 3 rebuild

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ian Palmer-Price 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

Ian Palmer-Price
    Participant

Exported in May 69 and recently returned home, less various parts including mudguards and having been subject to some modification. New mudguards have been purchased which are to be sprayed but can anyone help in advising the dimension from the edge of the mudguard to the coach line and also the width of the coach line?

I am also in need of a swing arm part No. 82-9963. The one on the machine is shorter than the original.

The rear brake rod or what is left of it has a yolk type end at the pedal end instead of the bent ‘L’ shaped end. It is suggested that the early models had this

yolk end. Is this correct?

The seat loop on the frame has also been reduced. Frame dimensions in the Workshop Manual are poorly reproduced to the point of being eligible! I am endeavouring to obtain a legible drawing but so far have not achieved any response.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Dick Herzberg
    Participant

Hi Ian, I have an original Mk1 Rocket 3 which I repatriated from the US some time ago, the earlier brake rods did have a yoke on the brake lever end and the clevis pin has a spring clip which retains it in the yoke, I have a genuine and unused Mk1 Workshop Manual which has a very good drawing the of the frame and swinging arm, I can let you have it to copy if you want or mark your manual up so the dimensions are legible. Can’t imagine why someone would want to fit a short swinging arm but I would have thought any frame builder could extend to original if you can’t find one. Because my bike is original the mudgaurds have the original hand painted white lines, it will probably be at Stafford next year and definitely on the TR3oc stand at the Newark Winter Classic to view measure and photo. Regards, Dick Herzberg

Ian Palmer-Price
    Participant

Dick,

Thank you for your comments which are greatly appreciated. I am progressing the purchase of a rear brake rod with yoke end. The VMCC has also assisted with a much improved frame drawing, all dimensions are now clear! The swing arm goes along with the seat support which has also been reduced!! The rear mudguard with the machine was from a 5 speed Trident but again subject to some ‘rough’ modification to fit!!

Regards, Ian

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.