Upcoming Events
Aug
Sat
all-day Llangollen International Motorcy... @ Royal International Pavilion
Llangollen International Motorcy... @ Royal International Pavilion
Aug 4 – Aug 5 all-day
LLANBIKEFEST 2018 – AUGUST 4 & 5 Royal International Pavilion, Abbey Road, Llangollen LL20 8SW Back by popular demand – John McGuinness WILL be at LlanBikeFest 2018! John McGuinness said: “I had such a good[...]
Aug
Sat
all-day NMM Ride In @ National Motorcycle Museum
NMM Ride In @ National Motorcycle Museum
Aug 11 all-day
Further Details to be announced
Aug
Fri
all-day 9th Aussie Triples Rally
9th Aussie Triples Rally
Aug 17 – Aug 19 all-day
The 9th Aussie Triples Rally will be held at Evans Head, Northern NSW for three days from Friday 17th August 2018.  This year on the Monday 20th after our rally we are organising a 320km[...]
Facebook
"

Crankshaft oilway grub screws

Home Forums TR3OC Members Forum Crankshaft oilway grub screws

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Ian Bradshaw Ian Bradshaw 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    john martin
    john martin
    Participant

On one, I’ve used an impact screwdriver, on another a screwdriver bit in my socket set ratchet handle, but I’ve only succeeded in rounding the edges of the grub screw off.

Now I’m stuck, do I have to drill the remains out & use a stud extractor?

How do you successfully remove the oil way grub screws from a Trident crankshaft?

Angus McLeod

At this stage you are probably going to have to dill it out. Drill it until there is hardly anything left and try and pick the bits out or use a tap. The tricky bit is drilling it central. If the worst happens you could tap it a size bigger but that wants to be the last resort.

Another way to remove it would be spark erosion if you know anywhere that can do it.

It goes without saying make sure you have cleaned it properly afterwards.

Kerrin Gautrey
    Kerrin Gautrey
    Participant

And replace them with Allen headed grub screws when you rebuild the engine.

Kerrin

iain strong
    iain strong

John did you heat the screw before trying to remove it?? if not try some heat and punch the  screw you may just get enough purchase  to break the Loctite

Ian Bradshaw
    Ian Bradshaw
    Participant

John, Clean, Clean, Clean. I had to drill mine out. I did it very slowly and cleaned the swarf from the hole regularly with a strong magnet and airline. When I tapped the hole I put a small but strong magnet on the tap and only did a full turn of the tap at a time then cleared the swarf from the tap. Finally I sealed all the bearing holes except the one closest to the hole I had just tapped, squirted paraffin in and then blew it out with an airline. A long winded operation but shorter and less costly than having swarf running around the engine and the subsequent blow up.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.