Upcoming Events
Apr
Sat
9:00 am The 38th Carole Nash Internation... @ Staffordshire County Showground
The 38th Carole Nash Internation... @ Staffordshire County Showground
Apr 21 @ 9:00 am – Apr 22 @ 5:00 pm
A flagship event of the classic motorcycling calendar, the Carole Nash International Classic MotorCycle Show is well into its fourth decade and is still going strong. Welcoming the very best that classic British motorcycling has[...]
May
Sat
all-day Endurance Legends @ Donnnington Park
Endurance Legends @ Donnnington Park
May 12 – May 13 all-day
Endurance Legends @ Donnnington Park
Endurance Legends returns to Donington featuring the UK’s only 4-hour classic endurance race, with additional races from Lansdowne Classic Series and GP Originals, and a number of star guests.  Hundreds of classic machines are expected[...]
Jun
Sat
all-day Coventry Motofest
Coventry Motofest
Jun 2 – Jun 3 all-day
Coventry Motofest
MotoFest Coventry 2018 Motofest Coventry is to stage time trialling at this year’s event, giving the go-ahead for the return of competitive motorsport to a UK city centre for the first time in almost 30[...]
Facebook
"

Crankshaft oilway grub screws

Home Forums Main Forum Crankshaft oilway grub screws

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Ian Bradshaw Ian Bradshaw 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    john martin
    john martin
    Participant

On one, I’ve used an impact screwdriver, on another a screwdriver bit in my socket set ratchet handle, but I’ve only succeeded in rounding the edges of the grub screw off.

Now I’m stuck, do I have to drill the remains out & use a stud extractor?

How do you successfully remove the oil way grub screws from a Trident crankshaft?

Angus McLeod

At this stage you are probably going to have to dill it out. Drill it until there is hardly anything left and try and pick the bits out or use a tap. The tricky bit is drilling it central. If the worst happens you could tap it a size bigger but that wants to be the last resort.

Another way to remove it would be spark erosion if you know anywhere that can do it.

It goes without saying make sure you have cleaned it properly afterwards.

Kerrin Gautrey
    Kerrin Gautrey
    Participant

And replace them with Allen headed grub screws when you rebuild the engine.

Kerrin

iain strong
    iain strong

John did you heat the screw before trying to remove it?? if not try some heat and punch the  screw you may just get enough purchase  to break the Loctite

Ian Bradshaw
    Ian Bradshaw
    Participant

John, Clean, Clean, Clean. I had to drill mine out. I did it very slowly and cleaned the swarf from the hole regularly with a strong magnet and airline. When I tapped the hole I put a small but strong magnet on the tap and only did a full turn of the tap at a time then cleared the swarf from the tap. Finally I sealed all the bearing holes except the one closest to the hole I had just tapped, squirted paraffin in and then blew it out with an airline. A long winded operation but shorter and less costly than having swarf running around the engine and the subsequent blow up.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.